European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
Are you temporarily staying in an EU country? Because of a family visit, holiday, internship or for work for instance? With an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you don’t have to pay necessary medical costs in advance. You can find the EHIC in the Hema Zorg app.
I need healthcare in a foreign country. What should I do?
Do you need healthcare abroad? Always call the HEMA zorgverzekering Emergency Center. You can reach us day and night at +31 317 455 678. We will help you in cases of hospitalization and other calamities.
What can I do with the EHIC?
- with the EHIC you don’t have to pay necessary medical costs in advance, during a temporary stay abroad. This applies to most European (state) hospitals
- at private hospitals, the EHIC is often not valid. The EHIC is not mandatory.
- you are entitled to receive necessary medical care by law in the country you are staying in.
- the foreign healthcare provider will use the information on your EHIC to declare the medical costs to HEMA zorgverzekering.
- in some countries you will pay a part of the medical costs yourself (personal contribution).
Be aware: some of the medical assistance abroad is not (fully) covered.
Where do I find my EHIC?
Are you insured with HEMA zorgverzekering? Then you will find your EHIC in the HEMA zorg-app under ‘Zorgpas’. You can download the app on your smartphone or tablet. This way you will always have the EHIC with you.
The digital EHIC is:
- free of charge
- available offline
- always up-to-date
- valid for 12 months
Are you a policyholder? Then you will find your personal EHIC and EHIC of all the other people on your policy in the app. Are you not the policyholder? Then only your own EHIC will be in the app.
Download the app
The HEMA zorg-app operates with iOS 11.0 or higher and is compatible with iPhone and iPad. The HEMA zorg-app operates with Android 6.0 or higher.
I pay a contribution
Are you paying a contribution? Then forward the bills and prescriptions to HEMA zorgverzekering, so we can decide if we reimburse these medical costs. If you don’t have a valid health insurance in the Netherlands, you won’t be entitled to necessary health care abroad.
I want to receive my EHIC as a physical card. Where can I apply?
The EHIC is available in the HEMA zorg-app. If you prefer a physical card, you can apply in Mijn Zorgoverzicht. A physical card is not different from the digital EHIC. If you do apply for a physical card, please note the following:
The digital EHIC is:
- personal, so that means that every family member needs their own card, including children below the age of 18
- only the policyholder can apply for a card for each family member
- the physical version of the EHIC is free of charge
- if you keep your health insurance at HEMA Zorgverzekering, the EHIC is valid for 12 months
- when you change your insurance, you don’t automatically receive a new physical card
- you will receive the card within 8 days after your application
- are you applying for multiple family members at once? Then it’s possible that the cards will be delivered separately